Dr. Meinen received his Bachelors of Science in Zoology from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in 1986. In 1990, he earned his DVM degree from University of Wisconsin-Madison. He continued with a Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Internship at Cornell University, and later, his Small Animal Surgery Residency at University of Wisconsin-Madison, which he completed in 1994. In 1999, he became Board Certified with the American College of Veterinary Surgeons.
Prior to joining WVRC, Dr. Meinen was the Director of Surgery at Mesa Veterinary Hospital in Mesa, AZ. Dr. Meinen has been with WVRC since March 2000. He has an interest in all areas of soft tissue, neurologic, and orthopedic surgery but has special interest in orthopedic diseases such as canine hip dysplasia and cranial cruciate injuries.
On what he enjoys most about working at WVRC…“I had decided to become a veterinarian at age 6. At that time, I had no idea what was required or the commitment needed to achieve this goal! I am very fortunate that I was able to become a veterinarian. It was not until my internship at Cornell that I developed a strong interest in surgery and chose that as my area of specialty.”
American Veterinary Medical Association
American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Association
Research & Publications:
1. Meadows, R. L., MacWilliams, P. S., Dzata, G. and Meinen, J. (1993), Chylothorax Associated With Cryptococcal Mediastinal Granuloma in a Cat. Veterinary Clinical Pathology, 22: 109–116.
2. Meinen JB, Rosin E, McClure JT: Pharmacodynamics of enrofloxacin in Escherichia coli and staphylococcal infection. Am J Vet Res 1995; 56:1219-1224.
3. O’Brien RT, Dueland RT, Adams WM, Meinen J: Dynamic Ultrasonographic Measurement of Passive Coxofemoral Joint Laxity in Puppies. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1997; 33:275-281.
4. Adams WM, Dueland RT, Meinen J, O’Brien RT, Giuliano E, Nordheim EV: Early Detection of Canine Hip Dysplasia: Comparison of Two Palpation and Five Radiographic Methods. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1998; 34:339-347.
5. Sicard GK, Meinen J, Philips T, Manley PA: Comparison of suture material and sterilization method for extra-articular repair of the canine cruciate deficient stifle.Vet Comp Orthop Traum 1999; 12:138-141.