Burt

 In Success Stories
Mushroom Toxicity

Burt, a 7-year-old Dachshund, came to WVRC’s Waukesha ER after he vomited 2-3 times in a short period of time, became very lethargic, did not want to stand or walk, and lost control of his bowels, was dribbling urine, and had discharge from both sides of his nose.

A few hours prior to this, Burt had been completely normal. However, he had a habit of chewing on grass and mulch, and his owners had some wild mushrooms growing in the yard that they were concerned he may have ingested.

Dr. Brown performed a thorough exam, and concluded that Burt’s symptoms were consistent with muscarinic mushroom toxicity. He received IV fluid therapy to flush the toxins from his body, along with blood work, and 24/7 monitoring and care. Within 24 hours his symptoms started to level off, and with 48 hours he was feeling well enough to go home.

Since going home, Burt’s symptoms have completely subsided and he is feeling much better.

Start typing and press Enter to search

Xena, 5 year old Golden Retriever recovers from aspiration pneumoniaMerry, an 11-year-old Beagle beats follicular cell carcinoma